23 November 2014

Vision Quest Part 1

The Planter - 8x10" - Oil on canvas

I have been working on my Vision Quest series of paintings for several years. I can't say when exactly it started or exactly why, except to say that I've always been driven to represent First Nations people through my work. Even within my photography there are many images that have obvious, and many not so obvious, connections.

I titled my series Vision Quest because that is how many of the images come to me - through visions, dreams, or abstract thoughts. Sometimes the work will be influenced by a story or event, and I'll try to fit the imagery to the story. Sometimes the image comes first and I try to fit the story to that.

Why the First Nations people? I have tried to rationalize this over the years, but the truth is I don't really know. It's just what I'm being guided to do. In my rationalizations I have come to the conclusion that it's because these peoples traditional ways represent what is missing in our society today. Respect, freedom, harmony between land, nature, and spirit; honour for the past and future, a sacred knowing that goes beyond science and logic; and living an artful life.

European immigrants, of which I descend, tried to strip away the spirit, stories, and traditions of the First Nations people. I don't know what part, if any, my ancestors played in the horrible treatment they received under the wave of immigration. I hope none since my Scottish history shares some of the struggles of the First Nations people of being displaced from their land and made out to be the savage enemy. They came here in search of freedom to live peacefully as farmers. I know of no direct ancestors that were involved in the political or military shaping of this country. 

When I dream I see stewards of the land who have taken care of our planet for thousands of years without the damage we have caused in a fraction of that time. Ultimately it is the struggle between freedom and oppression, an uncertainty for the future, and a belief that if we listened there is a way to live in harmony with the environment and each other. It is my hopes that I can give the First Nations people back some of their spirit and help celebrate their culture for the strength, beauty and integrity it deserves.

In part two I will share the some of the negativity that has resulted from this series, and what I've done about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment