02 January 2015

Lost Momentum

Skaters On Bower Ponds - 16x20" - Oil on canvas

“Most of life is routine - dull and grubby, but routine is the momentum that keeps a man going. If you wait for inspiration you'll be standing on the corner after the parade is a mile down the street.” -Ben Nicholas
I have lost my momentum. I had to quit painting mid December because the room I normally use to store paintings while they are drying was needed for my grandson over the holidays. I thought I'd be able to keep my momentum by sketching or doing some watercolour studies, but you know what they say about the best made plans.

First my grandson was sick and couldn't go to daycare, so he came here for 3 days. By the time he went home I found myself in panic mode for holiday preparations, with only 2 days before our guests started to arrive. And then we were into company and holiday celebrations. By the time all was said and done and the company had gone there was the clean up to do and catching up with other work.

My husband is still off work until Monday, but I am going to try to get back into the studio before that. I have goals to work towards!

2014 was a good year art wise. I exceeded all the goals I'd set which makes heading into 2015 with new goals exciting and full of anticipation. But getting started again isn't always as easy as saying you are going to start.

Newton's first law of motion states: An object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion, unless acted on by an external force. So once the holidays or vacations, or other forced painting break is over, it's easier to stay at rest than to get back to painting, unless some external force is driving us back to work. And I think it's common for painters (probably more typically applicable to female painters who bear the brunt of the work over the holidays) to have trouble getting back their momentum after the holidays.

Many turn to painting a day and other group challenges, or special projects to help force them back to work and get their momentum back. My plan was not solidly formed. I am going to use the month to work on some skills building. I have a few video workshops to do, and am going to do some more master copies. I received two absolutely stunning books over the holidays which will provide some inspiration for these copies - Impressionism In Canada and Independent Spirit: Early Canadian Women Artists both by A.K. Prakash.

Next year I think I will plan to have a half finished painting on the easel before I break for the holidays. What do you do to get your momentum back?

No comments:

Post a Comment